4.5 Understanding Plastic Laws
Plastic Waste Management Rules (Amendment) 2021
- Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, on March 11, has made few changes in the new draft of Plastic Waste Management Rules 2021.
- The amendment has been introduced the new definitions of:
- Non-woven plastic bag
- Plastic waste processing
- Single-use plastic items
- Thermoset Plastic
- The draft suggested a ban on the manufacture, import, stocking, distribution, sale and use of specific single-use plastic from January 1, 2022.
- As consumers, we should ensure that all plastic waste leaving our homes is segregated and is not contaminated with food waste.
- The draft has to be implemented in three stages, starting this 2021 and in mid-2022.
- Each sheet of non-woven plastic carry bag shall not be less than 60 (GSM per square metre) or 240 microns in thickness.
- A carry bag made of virgin or recycled plastic shall not be less than 120 microns, with effect from the same date.
- When six categories of single-use plastic like earbuds with plastic sticks, plastic sticks for balloons, plastic flags, candy sticks, ice-cream sticks, polystyrene (thermocol) for decoration will come into effect, they will be banned for sale, use, manufacture, stocking, import and distribution.
- List of banned items will also be including single-use plastic plates, cups, glasses, cutlery such as forks, spoons, knives, straw, trays, wrapping/packing films around sweet boxes; invitation cards; cigarette packets, plastic/PVC banners less than 100 micron and stirrers.