Let’s look at the Reverse Vending Machine concept and how it helps us minimize plastic pollution.
1.1 Reverse Vending Machine
What is that?
- A Reverse Vending Machine is a technological device that accepts used plastic bottles and beverage containers by people and returns them some amount of money as an incentive.
- It is installed in public places to get rid of plastic bottles.
- The concept of Reverse Vending Machine serves as a solution to the problem of plastic pollution caused due to products, especially plastic bottles, which are commonly used for storing cold drinks, fruit juices etc.
- Reverse Vending Machine process by accepting plastic items and gives coins as a reward according to the weight of plastic items.
- Reverse Vending Machine supports only plastic items as an input, coins as an output.
How does It help in Plastic Waste Management?
- A Reverse Vending Machine is a low-cost automatic machine that crushes the plastic bottles to a reduced size.
- The crushed plastic bottle consumes less energy when it goes to the recycling process.
Benefits of Reverse Vending Machine
- Reverse Vending Machines reduce employee work, also saves time and energy.
- It reduces landfills and increases recycling.
- It generates employment opportunities, especially for rag pickers and recyclers.
RVM in India
- ZELENO, a brand of RVM recycle Pvt. Ltd., brings the Reverse Vending Machine to India for the first time.
- It allows people to dispose of the PET bottles and, in return, get rewards.
- They came up with an awareness of how to dispose of plastic waste properly.
- Under the scheme of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, they have installed RVM in 36 cities across India.