3.4 Plogging

Lesson Progress
0% Complete

3.4 Plogging

The term plogging is a combination of two words ‘jogging’ and ‘plocka upp’ which means ‘pickup’ in Swedish. It becomes an international trend where someone picks up trash while jogging or brisk walking as a way of cleaning up litter while also taking care of fitness.

In India, this initiative was taken by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Mamallapuram when during his morning walk, he was seen picking up plastic litter, bottles, and other items.

Plogging makes people more energetic and positive to feel that they are an agent of change. It also addresses both health and environmental aspects.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched Fit India Movement on August 29. PM Modi also urged citizens of the country to single-use plastic during his Mann Ki Baat address on September 29 while asking people to start plogging for a litter-free India.

“From this day onwards, I will refuse plastic straws and plastic bags as much as possible, reduce the use of plastic packaging by eating at the food place instead of taking it away, and commit to bringing my own utensils if I am going to pack food.”