1. Why plastic around us
The main reason is that plastic is unbelievably cheap. It costs lesser than other alternatives like paper and cloth. It comes in different forms which we can easily shaped. Plastic can be used for almost anything either liquid or solid.
- Plastics have helped revolutionize the electronics. From computers and cell phones to televisions and microwaves we rely on every day.
- Plastic helps to reduce weight in transportation which saves fuel and reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
- From the protective outer shell, monitor, keyboard, and mouse, to the motherboard, wiring, memory and cable connectors, desktop and laptop computers depend on plastics.
- Plastics are responsible for our modern life we enjoy today from health and wellbeing, nutrition, shelter, and transportation to safety and security.
- The problem with plastic is that most of it is a non- biodegradable.
- It does not rot, like paper or food, so instead it can hang around in the environment for hundreds of years which converted into a form of plastic pollution and affects our environment, marine life, natural habitats and air as well.
- Did you know, plastics dumped on land, break down into tiny pieces and are washed do, we watercourses into rivers, lakes and seas. These microplastics are hugely problematic
While the plastic is all around us and it is available everywhere now. The waste is generated from it is becoming the problem. Let us see in the next chapter how plastic problem is getting a serious issue for future generation.